Monday, December 13, 2010

6th Graders and Reading a Website

One of the reading strategies I am asked to discuss is reading a webpage.  We did a lot with this earlier in the school year by using this AMAZING webquest.  So I was wondering what to do next?  I sought out some help through Twitter (@cmcgee200) and a few members of my PLN sent me a few links for great things to try.  Here's what I ended up doing:


The Lesson




The set-up


  • Copied Daybook lesson 45: reading a website
  • Reserved a computer lab
  • Created google presentation, shared to anyone with a link
  • Used google shortener for all the websites and the google presentation


Evidence of Student Learning






What will I do differently next time?


  • I will add the activity of having kids research the “northwest tree octopus” and the http://martinlutherking.org/ website which are both Hoax websites. (thanks @Ideaguy42)
  • Use www.twurdy.com to find readability of searched websites. Great way to help students determine reading level appropriate to their own personal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment